After I gave you my unranked initial picks back in March in the six major Oscar categories, it’s time to get numbers involved!
April brings us the first ranked predictions for the four acting categories, director, and picture. We begin with Supporting Actor and the usual caveats:
- Some of these performers could end up in lead Actor. For example, both Willem Dafoe and Ryan Gosling are big question marks as to where their placement will end up being. For now, I have them here.
- Some of these releases could be pushed back to 2024. Robert De Niro and Jesse Plemons in Killers of the Flower Moon, Dafoe and Mark Ruffalo for Poor Things, and Glynn Turman in Rustin were all first slated for 2022.
- And, of course, some of these performances and their pictures will simply fall by the wayside and actors I haven’t even considered will surface on the festival circuit and on the release calendar.
In 2022, my initial ranked picks in Supporting Actor correctly had the eventual winner Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All at Once) in the top five. He was the only eventual nominee listed in the 15 possibilities.
Let’s see how it shakes out this time around with the inaugural ranked forecast for our Supporting Actors!
TODD’S BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR PREDICTIONS:
1. Jesse Plemons, Killers of the Flower Moon
2. Willem Dafoe, Poor Things
3. Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
4. Samuel L. Jackson, The Piano Lesson
5. John Magaro, Past Lives
6. Charles Melton, May December
7. Ryan Gosling, Barbie
8. Richard E. Grant, Saltburn
9. Corey Hawkins, The Color Purple
10. Brian Tyree Henry, Flint Strong
11. Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things
12. Ben Affleck, Air
13. Robert Downey, Jr., Oppenheimer
14. Glynn Turman, Rustin
15. Paul Dano, Dumb Money
Best Supporting Actress is up next!