As the fourth day of May is upon us, it occurred to me that I’ve never done an official ranking of the 11 Star Wars movies that kicked off 46 years ago today.
I’m not going to go into detail beyond the actual numbers other than to say the following:
- My #1 is the one most would pick so no points for originality there.
- I do not, however, hold the first trilogy at 1-2-3. Yes, rewatches of Return of the Jedi through the years have lowered my opinion (especially compared to its predecessors).
- I do not look at The Force Awakens as a disappointing retread of the 1977 original as its reputation has increasingly become. And I’m a pretty big admirer of its follow-up The Last Jedi. Not so much for The Rise of Skywalker.
Here’s my personal list (from weakest to strongest) of the series!
11. Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002)
10. Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
9. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
8. Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999)
7. Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)
6. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
5. Return of the Jedi (1983)
4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)
3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
2. Star Wars (1977)
1. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)