Ever since the dawn of this blog three and a half years ago, I’ve long considered doing a top 100 Prince songs. For those who don’t know me, let me profess that Prince has been my singular favorite musical artist since I’ve been a young kid. I was fortunate enough to see him in concert 14 times. I know the ins and outs of his 39 albums and many B sides very well.
I mainly never did it for one reason: it’s really difficult to find videos of his work online as Prince was fiercely protective of his catalogue. That means good luck finding his stuff on YouTube or iTunes, etc… Tidal, by the way, has many on his albums on display.
Now – with the shocking and frankly devastating news from Thursday, I’m compiling my personal top 100 songs from his storied career that spanned nearly 40 years. These will be in ten installments and we begin with 100-91:
100. “Under the Cherry Moon” from Parade (1986)
99. “Movie Star” from Crystal Ball (1997)
98. “Let’s Have a Baby” from Emancipation (1996)
97. “$” from LotusFlower (2009)
96. “Come” from Come (1994)
95. “Superfunkycalifragisexy” from The Black Album (1994)
94. “AnotherLove” from PlectrumElectrum (2014)
93. “Face Down” from Emancipation (1996)
92. “Strollin” from Diamonds and Pearls (1991)
91. “(Eye) Hate U” from The Gold Experience (1995)
If you wish to educate yourself on some of the finest work from this genius, I encourage you to seek these out and I’ll have numbers 90-81 up tomorrow!