We have arrived at part 3 of my personal top 90 hip hop singles of the nineties decade, covering numbers 70-61. If you missed my first two posts covering nos. 90-71, shame on you. However, you can find them here:
Here we go:
70. “Hip Hop Hooray” by Naughty by Nature (1993)
With its infectious chorus and its Spike Lee directed video which had us all ridiculously waving our arms to and fro, Naughty by Nature scored a well deserved smash in 1993 with this jam.
69. “Still DRE” by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg (1999)
The lead single off Dre’s Chronic 2001 album found the glorious mix of Dre and Snoop back in business.
68. “Keep Ya Head Up” by 2Pac (1993)
Pac’s single showcases the more sensitive side of the iconic rapper.
67. “Ice Cream” by Raekwon featuring Method Man, Ghostface Killah, and Cappadonna (1995)
Four Wu-Tang Clan members collaborate on this classic track from Raekwon’s amazing Only Built 4 Cuban Linx album.
66. “Baby Got Back” by Sir-Mix-a-Lot (1992)
It’s still being put to good use today by Nicki Minaj in her hit “Anaconda”, but Seattle based Mix-a-Lot created a booty jam for the ages over two decades ago.
65. “I’m a Player” by Too Short (1993)
So many filthy yet remarkable songs to choose from involving Too Short – but this cut from his Get In Where You Fit In album rose above the rest.
64. “Murder Was the Case” by Snoop Dogg (1994)
One of Snoop’s many masterpieces from his Doggystyle debut album.
63. “Funkdafied” by Da Brat (1994)
Da Brat and producer Jermaine Dupri had a summer 1994 highlight with this title track off her debut album.
62. “Summertime” by DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince (1991)
Speaking of summer, before Will Smith became one of the biggest film stars in the world – he and partner DJ Jeff made a seasonal anthem that will never go away.
61. “U Can’t Touch This” by MC Hammer (1990)
Quibble if you want, but this Rick James sampling classic was instrumental in bringing hip hop to the mainstream. Plus – Hammer pants!!
And that’ll do it for now, folks! I’ll be back with part four soon enough…